Fellowship (FRACDS) in General Dental Practice
Fellowship is the highest academic level of achievement with the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons. A Fellow of the College:
1. Maintains high ethical standards, is a role model and demonstrates leadership in the profession.
2. Is a highly skilled and proficient practitioner with comprehensive experience in general dental practice.
3. Has significant depth and breadth of scientific knowledge and comprehension of evidence-based practice gained from enquiry, professional development and clinical experience.
4. Completed rigorous examination and assessment, in which they displayed critical evaluation, integration of this knowledge and understanding of contemporary dental evidence into their clinical practice.
How do I become a Fellow in GDP?
There are three pathways to Fellowship in GDP: (1) Primary Examination , (2) Exemption or (3) the MRACDS(GDP) Program.
The Primary Exam consists of study and examination in the areas of Anatomy, Histology, Physiology, Cell Biology & Biochemistry, Pathology and Microbiology. The aim is for candidates to demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental principles of the basic sciences and, importantly, their relationship to clinical dental practice.
The exam is in two parts:
- six two hour written papers, with two subjects scheduled on each of three consecutive days
- viva voce examinations of ten minutes duration are conducted in each of the six subjects. The focus is on the candidate’s ability to effectively communicate knowledge.
The Final Exam assesses clinical and theoretical knowledge in an experiential context, over a broad base of general dental practice. The exam comprises both written papers and a viva voce.
The Final Exam focus is on the candidate’s ability to effectively communicate knowledge which demonstrates they can:
- Make informed clinical assessment and analysis
- Consider a diagnosis with evidence of the application of diagnostic or surgical sieves and the selection of appropriate treatment modalities
- Demonstrate the ability to justify the management options with reference to current literature and evidence based practice.
Read more about the Final Examination in GDP .
How To Apply
You will need to first subscribe to the College. Find out all you need to know about General Dental Practice pathways in the GDP Handbook.