Specialist Dental Practice


  Gain an RACDS Membership (SDP) or Fellowship (SDP) qualification in one of eight Specialist Dental Practice disciplines:

Enrolments / Enquiries
SDP Membership Examinations
19-21 Aug 2019
Assessment of Eligibility due 1 April 2019

SDP Fellowship Examinations
19-21 Aug 2019
Assessment of Eligibility due 1 April 2019

Conjoint Examination in Orthodontics   
For Membership with RCSEd and RACDS

18-20 Nov 2019 Adelaide

Enrolments due 30 August 2019

Enrolments should be made to both RCSEd and RACDS


The College has a dedicated education team who will be able to assist you with any enquiry.

You can email Rachel Introna, Examination and Assessment Officer – SDP on rachel.introna@racds.org or give us a call on +61 2 9262 6044 or 1800 688 339.

Dental Public Health
Focus on preventing and controlling dental diseases and promoting dental health through organised community efforts. Practitioners achieve this through dental health education, applied dental research, and administration of group dental care programs.

The branch of dentistry that is concerned with the morphology and pathology of the pulpo-dentine complex and periradicular tissues.

Oral Medicine
Concerned with the oral health care of patients with chronic and medically related disorders of the oral and maxillofacial region and with their diagnosis and nonsurgical management.

The dental specialty that is concerned with the supervision, guidance and correction of the growing and mature dentofacial structures; it includes the diagnosis, prevention, interception and treatment of all forms of malocclusion of the teeth and associated alterations in their surrounding structures.

“my specialist society helps me as a specialist, the College keeps me thinking as a dentist”

Paediatric Dentistry
Concerned with preventive and therapeutic oral health care for children from birth through to adolescence. It includes management of orofacial problems related to medical, behavioural, physical or developmental disabilities.

Focus on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases or abnormalities of the supporting tissues (gums) of the teeth and their substitutes.

The branch of dentistry that deals with the restoration and maintenance of oral health, function and appearance by coronal alteration or reconstruction of the natural teeth, or the replacement of missing teeth and contiguous oral and maxillocacial tissues with substitutes.

Special Needs Dentistry
Supports the oral health care needs of people with an intellectual disability, medical, physical or psychiatric conditions that require special methods or techniques to prevent or treat oral health problems, or where such conditions necessitate special dental treatment plans.

General FAQ’s – Specialist Dental Practice

Do my supporting documents need to be certified?

Yes, all supporting documents are required to be certified copies of the original. Please refer to the certification guidelines on the RACDS website. Please do not send original documents. 

Where can I find forms?

All RACDS forms are available for download on the website here.

Subscriptions can be completed online; however enrolment forms can be sent electronically. 

What are the fees to become a Member or Fellow in SDP?

Each year the College will publish the College fees online located at www.racds.org/fees. Refer to the Membership – Specialist Dental Practice (SDP) or Fellowship – Specialist Dental Practice (SDP) sections. 

Will I be assigned a mentor? 

Enrolment in a Specialist Dental Practice examination does not include a mentor arrangement; however the College highly recommends you seek advice from senior specialists; particularly Fellows of the College for advice on case report preparation and viva voce examination techniques. 

Is Membership or Fellowship in SDP recognised by the Dental Board of Australia or the Dental Council of New Zealand?

If you obtain Membership or Fellowship in a specialist dental practice discipline, it does not mean you will be eligible for registration or to practice in Australia. Please contact the local regulatory authority in your country of practice for information about registration.

Who can I contact if I need further information?

Your first resource should be the Regulations leading to Membership and Fellowship in GDP and SDP followed by the SDP Handbook.