Requirements for Certified Documents
- To ensure the safety of documents certified photocopies rather than the originals should be provided. Originals received will not be returned to the sender.
- Officers verifying documents should write “This is a true copy of the original sighted by me” and sign the document, print their name, profession/occupation/organisation, contact details and date verified. Justices of the Peace and medical practitioners should also provide their registration number.
- Ensure the signature is not photocopied, is original and states clearly the name and position of the signee as well as the date certified.
- All certified documents must be accompanied by a certified translation when the certificate(s) is not in English
- The RACDS accepts documents certified by any of the following:
For Australian and NZ Residents:
A current Fellow or Member of the College
Justice of the Peace / Commissioner for Affidavits / Commissioner for Declarations
Administrative staff of the institution which originally issued the documents
Head of a Department of a Dental Hospital or Dental Facility
Judge of a Court / Master of a Court/ Magistrate
CEO of a Commonwealth Court
Registrar or Deputy Registrar of a Court / Clerk of a Court
Sheriff of the Court
Member of the Australian Defence Force – rank of Warrant Officer or higher
Police Officer – rank of Sergeant or higher
For Overseas Residents:
- A current Fellow or Member of the College
- Justice of the Peace
- Staff of an Australian Overseas Diplomatic Mission
- Administrative staff of the institution which originally issued the documents
- Registrar / Senior Staff of an overseas Australian Education Institution (i.e. Australian Education International or authorised Australian organisation)
Candidates and/or their immediate family members cannot certify their own documents.