Candidates who have completed a University higher degree in research or a degree leading to a specialist qualification in the health sciences which is no less than two (2) years full time study or its equivalent may be eligible for an exemption from the Primary Dental Sciences Examination.
If you are granted exemption from the Primary Dental Sciences Examination, you must still pass the Fellowship Examination to be awarded Fellowship with the College and use of post-nominals FRACDS(GDP). Candidates granted an exemption from the Primary Dental Sciences Examination will not be eligible to apply for Membership in Primary Dental Sciences – MRACDS(PDS).
Documentation to Apply
The College requires the following documentation to apply for exemption from the Primary Dental Sciences Examination:
- Affiliate Membership application (if not a current member or subscriber)
- Completion of FGDP04 – Application for Exemption from the Primary Dental Sciences Examination form
- Most updated Certificate of Registration to practice in your jurisdiction (must be verified)
- Certificate of University Dentistry Qualification (must be verified)
- Certificate of University postgraduate Master’s Clinical Doctorate/PhD Degree qualification (must be verified)
- Proof that the postgraduate qualification was two years full-time or equivalent and the start and finish dates (if the university cannot provide the above information they must be contacted and advised of this)
- A two-year postgraduate program can be: Masters, PHD or DClinDent
How to Apply?
- Apply for Affiliate Membership
- Ensure you have the documentation required for lodging the application
- Complete the FGDP04 – Application for Exemption from the Primary Dental Sciences Examination form
Fellowship in GDP
Fellowship Examination in General Dental Practice
The Fellowship Examination (GDP) is an assessment of clinical and theoretical knowledge in an experiential context, over a broad base of general dental practice. The level of expectation is specifically set at the experienced general practitioner level and not the specialist level.
Upon successful completion of the Fellowship Examination (GDP), candidates are eligible for Fellowship in General Dental Practice. The use of the post-nominals FRACDS(GDP) is granted, which confers international credibility. Fellowship is a prestigious achievement and recognition of knowledge and skills to practice clinical dentistry to the highest standards.
Preparation for the Fellowship Success Workshop
The Preparation for Fellowship Success (PFS) is an optional online preparatory course which aims to maximise success and boost your confidence in passing the Fellowship Examination in General Dental Practice to achieve Fellowship with the College.
It is highly recommended that candidates enrolled or planning to sit the Fellowship Examination enrol for the PFS.