The Final Examination is an assessment of clinical and theoretical knowledge in an experiential context, over a broad base of general dental practice. The level of expectation is specifically set at the experienced general practitioner level and not the specialist level. Candidates are expected to demonstrate a greater breadth of knowledge about general dental practice and a greater depth of knowledge about specialist dental practice than the average general dental practitioner.
Upon successful completion of the Final Examination, candidates are eligible for Fellowship in General Dental Practice. The use of the post-nominals FRACDS(GDP) is granted, which confers international credibility. Fellowship is a prestigious achievement and recognition of knowledge and skills to practice clinical dentistry to the highest standards.
Based on the ongoing COVID-19 situation and associated risk, the 2022 Final Examination for Fellowship will be conducted online.
Written Paper (General): 10 January 2022
Written Paper (Elective): 11 January 2022
Viva Voce: 17 – 19 January 2022
Enrolments are open now.
Do you have a Masters, PhD or DClinDent? You could be eligible for an exemption from the Primary Examination, putting you on the fast track to the Final Examination for Fellowship. Learn more
The Final Exam focus is on the candidate’s ability to effectively communicate knowledge which demonstrates they can:
- Make informed clinical assessment and analysis
- Consider a diagnosis with evidence of the application of diagnostic or surgical sieves and the selection of appropriate treatment modalities
- Demonstrate the ability to justify the management options with reference to current literature and evidence based practice.
|Final Examination||Overseas Resident||Australian Resident|
|Preparation for Fellowship Success|
|Enrolment for unsuccessful subscribed candidate|
– Part l or Part ll only
|Admission to Fellowship||$327.27||$360.00*|
|Annual fee (FY 1/7/21 to 30/6/22)||$642.00||$706.00*|
|Annual fee (FY 1/7/20 to 30/6/21)||$636.00||$700.00*|
1. All fees are in $AUD.
2. Fees marked with asterisk (*) denote GST inclusive, otherwise fees are GST free.
3. The Preparation for Fellowship Success workshop will be held over three (3) days.
4. The annual fee is payable on the 1st day of July each year. All unpaid annual fees by the 31st of August each year will attract a monthly late payment surcharge. Members or Fellows who are elected to Membership or Fellowship during the year will pay a pro rata annual fee based on the whole months remaining in the financial year (FY).
5. Board approved 1/3 reduction for members residing outside of Australia and NZ, for the 2021/22 financial year.
6. For more information, please refer to the RACDS General Dental Practice (GDP) Handbook and other relevant policies (including refunds) which are available on the website.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Final Examination in General Dental Practice will be conducted online, allowing candidates to sit the examinations from their home or office. The written papers will be available via downloadable proctored software, and the viva voce examinations will be conducted via Zoom.
To be eligible for the Final Exam candidates must satisfy completion of one of the following:
- RACDS Primary Exam
- MRACDS Program
- Exemption granted from the Primary Exam (please refer to the GDP Handbook)
Candidates must also have completed their undergraduate degree three years prior to enrolling, have a minimum of two years clinical experience and hold registration to practice dentistry with a recognised registering body.
The Final Exam is made up of two sections: General Dentistry, and an elective option:
- Restorative Dentistry and Periodontics
- Paediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics
- Oral Medicine, Oral Surgery and Oral Pathology
The general dentistry exam consists of a written paper and a viva voce. The elective exam consists of a written paper, clinical and oral examination, and viva voce examination. There are no live patients for this examination.
This exam is at the level of a General Practitioner.
The Final Exam is the final step to achieving Fellowship in General Dental Practice. Benefits in obtaining Fellowship with the RACDS include:
- Professional development
- Professional recognition
- Develop a career pathway in education and examination
- Discounts to Convocation and RACDS CPD programs
The GDP Handbook includes a guide to study and suggested reading list. Candidates should have access to current journal articles and maintain an individual resource library in preparation for the examination.
The RACDS offers a Preparation for Fellowship Success Workshop (PFS) which runs in August. This provides candidates with an opportunity to gain valuable information on treatment planning, written paper and viva voce skills.
Both the written and oral sections of the exam must be completed. If you complete the written sections only, and do not present for the vivas you will receive a fail grade for the entire section of the exam i.e. you will fail the elective section of the exam.
Should a medical/personal situation arise that prevents you from undertaking a portion of the exam, please contact the RACDS immediately.
If you have failed one section and passed another, you may be given credit for the section passed. This credit is valid for three years. Candidates who have failed the exam will receive an performance report from the examiners.
The RACDS has a number of Candidate Advisors in each Regional Committee that run tutorials and functions. Candidates can join our Facebook closed group “RACDS Final Examination Study Group”, where you can receive up to date information, share study notes, and exchange information with peers in your preparation of the Final Exam.